Warm Hugs in a Mug: Easy Hot Chocolate Recipe!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Happiness:
- Cocoa powder – go for the unsweetened goodness
- Sugar – add as much sweetness as your heart desires
- Chocolate – melt in some semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, chunks, or shavings for that rich flavor burst
- Milk – take whole milk for that creamy, dreamy consistency; it blends chocolate like a charm
- Vanilla extract – kick it up a notch with some vanilla love
For an Extra Dose of Creaminess: Swap 1 cup of whole milk with one and a half of heavy cream because, let's be honest, a little indulgence never hurts anyone!
Hot to Make Your Heartwarming Hot Chocolate:
- In a saucepan, whisk together sugar and cocoa powder. Add milk, chocolate chunks, and vanilla.
- Place over medium heat until it's steaming, whisking constantly to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Cool it to your desired sipping temperature and top it with all your faves.
Cocoa and chocolate can settle at the bottom of the pot. Avoid burning your homemade hot cocoa by cooking it over medium heat and stirring continuously.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does hot chocolate have caffeine?
Yep, a bit! About 12 mg per serving, so it's like a mini energy boost.
What about Mexican Hot Chocolate?
Spice it up with 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. And don't forget the bittersweet chocolate!
Store-bought mix or DIY?
You can skip the cocoa and sugar if you're rocking a pre-made mix. Use about 4 packets or servings as per the package instructions.
Top It Off with All the Things:
The BEST part about homemade hot chocolate is the toppings and added flavors!
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint
- White chocolate
- Chocolate syrup
- Peppermint sticks
- Chocolate shavings